Wednesday, November 19, 2008

"Fasten your seatbelts..."

Ok, I know technically I named "All About Eve" in my previous post about my favorite movies, but I just had to use that line. Thanks to everyone who left me their favorite movies. There were some I had seen and a few that I'll have to watch. And some of your posts reminded me of other oldie favorites, "The Philadelphia Story" and "Bells of St Mary"to name a couple. But I digress. I promised a post about more "modern" movie favorites. Alright I'll admit some of these are even before my time, but I count them in the "mostly" modern category.
  • The Great Race - If you're a Jack Lemmon fan this is a must. My sister and I count this in one of our all time favorites. The bit on the iceberg with Peter Falk and Jack's mustache, CLASSIC!
  • The Godfather Part 1 and Part 2 - I will admit I have a constant battle with myself over which movie I like best.
  • Urban Cowboy - Bud and Sissy, a love story for the ages.
  • Forrest Gump - I can watch this movie, laugh and get choked up every time.
  • Steel Magnolias - Can't help it.
  • Superman - Anyone who knows me, knows I'm a Superman freak. I truly believe that airlines should play that soundtrack as the plane takes off.
  • Indiana Jones and the Lost Ark - This defines a summer blockbuster to me. Everytime I watch it I'm immediately taken back to seeing it the first time in the dark theater.
  • Sense and Sensibility - Wonderful movie and a fine Kate Winslet performance.
  • Titanic - Great storytelling.
  • The Departed - Leo Di Caprio and Irish Mafia violence. Great performances from Leo, Matt Damon, Mark Wahlberg, Alec Baldwin, and Martin Sheen. Oh and Jack being Jack, not too shabby.
Well that's the "short" list. I know, I know, not really that short, but I could entertain myself for hours and hours listing movies I love to watch...again if anyone has any movies they'd like to add....

1 comment:

Kate said...

haha, I love your version of "modern", more like a tribute to the 70's and 80's. You already know most of my favorites but I'll put a few actual modern ones anyway... French Kiss for my Meg Ryan tribute, American Beauty, Finding Neverland, Amelie, Lemony Snicket (Count Olaf cracks me up every time and I think is Jim Carrey's best character by far), and I can't leave off one of my favorites of all time... The Princess Bride.